We’ve been asked a few questions on “when the color cartridge is empty, can you print just using the black ink cartridges.” Let us try to describe some of the solutions below for various printer brands:
- Click the Start Menu
- Choose Devices and Printers
- Right click your printer icon in question
- Choose “Printing preferneces” from the drop down panel
- In the panel click and select the “Maintenance” tab
- Click the “Ink Cartridge Settings” button icon
- Then choose “Black Only” from the drop down buttons
NOTE: If you have a Canon photo black cartridge like the CLI-8 and you want to use that cartridge to print change the “type of paper” to something other than Plain Paper in the Media Type on the Main tab interface. For example select the “High Resolution”.
2.) Hewlett-Packard (HP) –
- Open the document you want to print
- Click File, and then click Print
- Click your HP product in the Name drop-down list, and then click Properties
- Click the “Color” tab, select the “Print in Grayscale” checkbox, and then click OK
NOTE: Depending on the printer model you might even have a drop down with “print in black only”.